Saturday, May 21, 2011

Garage Sailing - Saturday 05/21/2011

Well, I got on the road at about 8:15am last Saturday to start the day looking for crap to keep/sell.

Using my trusty iPad with the "iGarageSale (Lite)" app the night before, I knew the general areas where there were some sales. When I got to driving around though I was floored at how many sales were actually going on. I can't remember the last time I had seen so many garage sales.

When there are that many garage sales you really have to be selective in how you spend your time, as the first 1-2 hours is critical if you want to get any real good finds. The three places I spent most of my time were pretty much duds. Two of the three places were in really nice neighborhoods which is usually a good sign. I stayed long enough at both sales to realize that they had sales either the day before (Friday? I know lame right?) or a week or two before. Needless to say these places were picked clean and I came away empty handed.

The third sale at first glance seemed too good to be true. There was nice old fashion furniture, model cars in the box, action figures, sports memorabilia, and lots of other neat stuff. As I was looking around I overheard the seller say that he regularly attends swap meets and his wife does a lot of selling on eBay. Immediately the red flag in my head hit high mast. These people knew what they had and of course knew what they were worth.

I was able at least to finagle his wife to sell the CDs which were priced at $1/each for 3 for $2 instead. Unforunately she disappeared so when I tried the same trick on the DVDs which were $2 each the husband wouldn't go for the 2 for $3 bit.

But at least I came away with a consolation prize:
Gladiator 2-Disc DVD set - $2
The Iron Giant DVD - $2
Offspring - "Americana" CD - $0.67
System of a Down - "Steal This CD" CD - $0.67
Foo Fighters - "One by One" CD - $0.67
~
Total Spent - $6

*Note: And of course all media is already on my home server.

No comments:

Post a Comment